Pages

THIS BLOG HAS MOVED!!!

formerly:

formerly: becoming God's gift.... all content has been moved to the new address! come join us over there.

Friday, October 26, 2012

who is my neghbour? {day 26}

Thine own friend, and thy father’s friend, forsake not; neither go into thy brother’s house in the day of thy calamity: for better is a neighbour that is near than a brother far off. Proverbs 27:10 {edited-from 26:10-I turned to the next chapter too soon. oops}

I used to read this verse as a teenager and then young adult and think.... Why aren't people more "neighborly" now-days? 

There were one or two houses on my street where we knew the people on a "HI, how are you?" basis... and even now, in my neighborhood, we only casually speak to our neighbors. We try to be friendly and have invited them to church and inquired about their salvation, but we have no one we would turn to in a calamity.

And I suppose this verse could be talking about our making friends of those who live near us {we certainly need to make an effort to be kind and get to know those who live around us}; but people just live such separate lives anymore, are often not even home until late in the evening, and don't really want to go to church on Sundays. 

Even when cute little kids invite them.

Then a few years after I had gotten married, journeyed to a strange city, moved into a new house, joined a new church and started to make a life... with this man for-ever-after, I realized it could be talking about something a little differently. 

Our life revolves around our church and the activities of it. And I now live very far from any family... even from the church where I grew up. 

I cannot go to my brother's house or any of my family's houses {even if I wanted to} without nearly a whole day's travel or more!

My own friend, my neighbor that is near, even my father's friend {kindred spirits through loving and serving the same God} is my church family

The Lord has truly blessed our little family with {-[neighbors]-} in abundance through the wonderful people who faithfully attend our church. They have encouraged us and been there for us in a myriad of ways during the years we have been here. 

My heart had a rocky start with being far away from family and the people I knew so well from childhood. I have come to realize I do not handle change well without much help from the Lord.

But now, over 9 year later, I have come to the point where I could not imagine being in any other "family." They are my neighbor that is near... and I know our family can turn to them for prayer or assistance whenever it is needed. 

That is indeed a blessing!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you stopped by!
Thank you for taking time to say HI or share a thought. It's nice to know someone is out there {smiles}, and comments are always appreciated.